Tuesday, May 13, 2014

A little update!

A little life update-I don't normally do this kind of thing but I had a few messages on instagram and twitter wondering where I have been the last 10 days and so I thought I would give a little update.

When I got back from Cairo a week last Thursday I came down with another kidney infection, but because I hadn't heeded the advice of my doctor or taken the full course of antibiotics she had given me the previous week when I had the same thing, this second infection took a hold of me hard.

I began feeling ill on Friday, the day after I got back from Cairo and started to take the antibiotics she had previously prescribed but by Sunday evening I had gone rapidly downhill and had to go into hospital.  My body wasn't responding at all to the antibiotics-I hadn't slept, eaten or been able to drink for 2 days and I was running a fever.  I was given an IV cocktail of hydrating fluids and (new) antibiotics.  Hospital is ok in Dubai, I am lucky enough to have excellent private medical insurance provided by my employer and was well looked after apart from the soggy processed cheese slice sandwiches they kept bringing round.  A cliche I know, but I did literally feel like I had gone 10 rounds with Mike Tyson.

Diagnosis was 'chronic obstructive pyelonephritis' which is basically a kidney infection.  Have been back and forth a little bit to have my kidneys scanned etc and am back again tomorrow for most of the results.

My mum is hilarious

I was back at work as of yesterday but of course literally drowning in paperwork and emails!

In other less relevant infomation:

My skin hates me at the moment-it's so dry and dehydrated!  I didn't wear make up for over a week (unheard of) and being too unwell to be bothered with a proper cleansing routine has left my skin extremely dry and dull.  I'll definitely be reaching for anything that says hydrating/brightening/miracle worker on the label for the next few days.  And my lips-literally drier than the desert at the moment.

I had to get Mike to cancel TWO hair appointments and have the roots from hell.  Haven't painted my nails for 10 days (gasps)

I dropped my beloved ipod on the stone flooring at home and smashed the screen.  It still works tho phew!

One of our supermarkets in Dubai, Choithrams has started stocking Tesco products!  Major excitement especially over the strawberry fizzy laces!  Stocked up on them yesterday.


It's gotten super hot in Dubai, 40 degrees when I left work at 3.30 this afternoon.  And the humidity is back with a vengeance.  Cue make up lasting all of 20 minutes and frizzy hair for the rest of the summer.

I barely looked on the internet/my iphone/laptop until this weekend (a 7 day hiatus which is literally unknown) which has meant NO online shopping!  I may have done a sneaky Sephora and Dorothy Perkins order to catch up and keep the UK and US economies running smoothly yesterday.

For those who are fans of hearing about James my assistant's exploits, well whilst I was sick he was on vacation in Amsterdam.  He messaged me just enough to let me know he was still alive and he DIDN'T buy my a present.  Disappointing James.  On Saturday night he messaged me saying 'erm why haven't you been blogging'.  Who knew he was such a fan?  It's been good to see him again after a two week break and we're back into our normal routine of him buying me breakfast and amusing me greatly for 8 hours a day.


Speaking of food-we're going carb free.  This news does not make me happy at all-I am literally a carb whore.  Mike hasn't been well and the doctor has diagnosed him with high blood pressure and borderline diabetes and wants him to cut out carbs.  We have a list as long as our arms of things we can't eat.  I do need to support him but we had out first carb free day yesterday and I am ashamed to say at 4am I was wide awake, starving and eating biscuits in the kitchen!  It's going to take a LOT of getting used to for us so any tips/support would be welcome.  We are both overweight so it will do us both good but it will be a massive lifestyle change for us and probably more for him more than me as I have the worst diet in the world.  I rebelled on day 2 of carb free eating this morning by asking James to buy me a halloumi manakish.  Also not sure that the strawberry fizzy laces fit into this carb free lark.

Thank you to everyone who did message me and also who responded to Mikes instagram photo on Saturday.  I didn't even know he knew how to use instagram but the comments were lovely.

One last thing-I have learned not to leave Mike in charge of running the house.  1 ply toilet roll and a hair gel (for him) called 'Touch Me Please' has been purchased......


Bear with me, hopefully will be back to blogging normally soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment