Wednesday, February 19, 2014

New daily makeup additions


So recently I said goodbye to Nars Sheer Glow foundation, Illamasqua Masquara and the Shiseido Mascara Base and here's what products I replaced them with.


First up, lets talk foundation.  I purchased the Chanel Perfection Lumière quite a while back when I was in New York.  The packaging is perfect.  The glass bottle has a pump built in (I wish Sheer Glow did) making dispensing the product easy peasy.  The colour is a brilliant match for my skintone.

What I tend to go for in a foundation is a heavier coverage with a matte (ish) finish.  The Chanel sales girl said this would be the best for me.

This foundation is very matte when you apply it-far more matte than Estee Lauder Double Wear or Nars Sheer Glow.  Because of that it can look a bit flat so I have taken to mixing in 1 pump of Mac Strobe liquid before I apply it.

It definitely applies best with a brush-I used the Real Techniques Expert Face brush most of the time.  I find it difficult to blend with my fingers because it dries so fast.  It gives good coverage but still feels lightweight on the skin.  It is long lasting but I do need to powder the foundation a couple of times a day to blot down shine, the matte effect doesn't seem to last on me.  However that may be down to the primer I am using as that is a 'radiance giving' primer.  It's an ok foundation but I am not loving it and this isn't my holy grail foundation.



I really really liked the Illamasqua Masquara (far more than I expected to to be honest) and had high hopes for the Guerlain Noir Couture as it's replacement.

The packaging is lovely-quite a heavy black and silver tube-very sleek looking.

The mascara has a 'three ball' brush allowing you to use the wand horizontally and vertically.  To be honest I don't see any benefit from the brush shape over a normal wand.

The formula is creamy and not overly wet, but a lot of product gathers on the end 'ball' tip so you need to wipe that away.  The mascara claims to offer 4 benefits-intense volume, strong curl, infinite length and complete lash care with the patented 'Lash Booster Expert Complex'.  Again, I don't feel this mascara lives up to those claims.  I get a little bit of length and it is very good at separation but my lashes look thin and spiky with this mascara on.  I also don't get the 'intense black lashes' look that I like as it doesn't volumise very well.  I'm disappointed.  Whilst I haven't really experienced significant smudging or flaking with the mascara, it definitely seems to 'fade away' during the day, leaving your lashes feeling a bit naked.


I thought maybe adding a mascara primer might help so whipped out my Diorshow Maximizer.

I was unimpressed with the formula of the Shiseido version-I didn't feel it deposited much product onto the lashes or gave much extra 'oomph' to my mascara.

And straight off the bat I am going to say that I feel the same about this Dior version.

The plastic brush is quite long and is quite stiff and inflexible.  Nevertheless I can definitely 'see' this primer on my lashes because it is white.  But the formula is quite thin and I don't see that plumped up effect I saw when I used the Mac Prep and Prime mascara base.  The Mac primer literally doubled the thickness of my lashes.  The Mac Prep and Prime base was a thicker consistency though, the Dior one feels feather light on the lashes.

The reviews are so good of this primer so I am going to stick with it and maybe trying adding a bit more each time I use it.  And also try it with another mascara.



Not glowing reviews of any of the products I am afraid but these are my initial impressions after using them daily for a couple of weeks now.

Have you tried any of these products?  I would love to know your thoughts.


No comments:

Post a Comment